Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Ecclesiastes of Housekeeping

A riff on Ecclesiastes 1:2-11.

“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Mother.
“Utterly meaningless!
All this work is meaningless.”

What does a mother gain from all her labor under her roof?
One child goes off to school and one child remains home,
Yet lunch-making endures forever.
The dirty dishes rise in the sink, and the dirty dishes recede,
Yet they always hasten back to the stack, in need of scrubbing once more.
The dust settles on furniture and floor
Before it kicks up into the air;
Round and around it goes,
Whirling constantly throughout the house.
Dirty laundry spins in the machine,
Yet the mound of clothing never ceases.
From the place those grass-stained t-shirts came,
They will return to the pile again .
All the housework is wearisome,
More than a woman can say.
The eye always spots something out of place,
The ear always hears a dripping sink.

Nothing will change, it will all be the same,
It will all need doing again and again;
And there are no new gadgets that lighten the load.
Is there any invention of which it can be said:
“Look! Here is a new sponge”?
That sponge is the same as long ago;
Our mothers used it before our time.
There will be no end to the continual scrubbing.
Even our great-grandchildren will toil away.
And it will still be utterly meaningless!

6 comments:

Ali said...

Love it!!!

Marie said...

Well, the invention of the Wet Swifter was a small step forward, you hafta admit.

Seriously, I hear ya, sister. I'd rather do most things than clean the house. Especially ironing. But you know what I've been doing while dusting and (the tiny bit of)ironing I've done this past week?

Listening to your Ruth sessions on my laptop! Yes sirree; efficient AND productive use of time! :)

Hadassah said...

Well, Marie, I'll give you the wet swiffer thing, even though I don't use those. I'm tightfisted in odd ways, and I hate to buy 'refills' of just about any product. I use a good ol' fashioned mop and bucket at my house!

Glad you are listening to Ruth!

Matthew Lawrence Woodwork said...

It is not meaningless . . . it makes me happy. And when I am happy, everyone else tends to be happier.

Hadassah said...

Yes, darling, whatever you say ;-)

kathleen in TX said...

I'm with you on the swiffer/refill thing. Although, I have to admit, I did like it before I got tired of buying refills. I loved your post!!!