Friday, November 16, 2007

Forgive Us Our Trespasses

Matthew 6:14

"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

Mark 11:25

"And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses."


Both of those verses appear in red ink in my Bible. That means that Jesus said them Himself. And if Jesus said them, then they are words straight from the mouth of God.

I don't know about you, but meditating on these two verses is startling to me. I think we sometimes soft pedal the idea of forgiving people. But clearly God is extremely serious about His command that we forgive.

Now when I say that we soft pedal the idea of forgiving people, I don't mean that we don't take the issue of forgiveness seriously. Because I think that most Christians really do try to forgive, and they don't want to hold on to anger, bitterness and resentment. But the reality is that many people are harboring anger and bitterness and resentment. And they have been unable to figure out how to really truly forgive a person who has seriously sinned against them.

I see this all the time in the lives of people that I know. People that I am close to and love deeply. I mean no disrespect to my recently deceased grandmother, but unforgiveness and pride were huge strongholds in her life. To the extent that I literally met a relative I have never laid eyes on before at Nanny's funeral. I don't even know the story of what caused the family rift that alienated my grandmother from a whole branch of her family. Neither does my father. But whatever it was, it was powerful, and she was never willing to forgive.

I can't even tell you how sad that makes me. Nanny was a really neat, strong, dynamic, talented, creative, beautiful woman. But she had anger and bitterness in her heart that had a direct effect on her children, and on me too. I know that she is now glorified and in perfect relationship with God. But her children and grandchildren are here in this life reaping the fruit of her actions. O that God would give me grace to avoid doing the same thing to my children!

I think forgiveness could take up a month of posts, but for today this is what I want to spend some time thinking about: I have only been able to understand forgiveness since I have understood the magnitude of forgiveness that I have received from God. When I consider God's holiness, versus my natural sinfulness, I am almost undone. The idea that He would condescend to love me and forgive me is almost too incredible to believe. I don't see how people can understand this concept and treat it lightly.

When I managed to push aside my natural pride long enough to listen to what God said I really was without His grace being applied to me, I understood forgiveness. How can I hold an account of wrongs done to me when God has wiped my sins against Him completely away?

After all, every sin will be dealt with one of two ways. Either it is a sin that Christ paid for on the cross, or the sin will be paid for by eternal separation from God.

I don't mean to tell any of you that it is easy to forgive another person. I know it isn't easy. I have been there. And struggling with the hurt that people caused me and then stuffing it away and trying to pretend it didn't exist got me nowhere.

I have only ever been able to forgive by meditating on the amazing forgiveness God extended to me. I certainly didn't deserve any forgiveness. My sin is just as wretched as the sin of the person who has offended me. That is a bold statement, but it is true. And when I got it, really got it, the key turned, and forgiveness was released into my heart.

I wish so badly that some of the people I love could understand this concept. I have seen the devastation it is causing in their lives, and many times in the lives of their children. I know that all I can do is pray for these people, and guard against the same thing in my own heart.

Matthew 9:2

"When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you."

No comments: