Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Good Example...

...of why it is dangerous to imagine that every whim entering our hearts is the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Just so you know, I really should be cleaning up my kitchen right now. But this sounds like more fun, so I'll load the dishwasher later.

Earlier this week, in the morning Bible Study, I had what I thought was the inspiration of the Spirit. But it proved to be my own imagination. Now, I think that we do get lead by the Spirit at times. And I have had experiences that I believe were divinely set in motion by the hand of God. Not visions or tongues or anything like that. But experiences that, in retrospect, were so unique or unlikely, that I had to chalk it up to divine intervention. But I do not believe that every whim or fancy that passes through my human mind is a direct communication from God.

Here is a great example of why, I think, that would be foolishness.

A woman was sharing the story of a friend's son who had spent a majority of his youth in serious rebellion. He was heavily involved in illegal drugs, and a generally unhappy lifestyle. Part of that lifestyle included having his arms and chest covered with tattoos. He has since completely turned his life around and become a Christian. But because of his tattoos, he must often wear a long sleeve shirt. For example, at his job, the tattoos must be completely covered.

While this woman was speaking, I had an inspired thought. I remembered a sermon I had heard about Jonah, and how his skin was covered with scars as a result of being exposed to the digestive juices inside the whale, or whatever it was, for three days.

We had just been discussing how God will use everything in our lives for His own glory ultimately.

So I thought, AHA! Those tattoos are a testament of the rebellion and sinful lifestyle that God delivered that young man from, just as Jonah's scars were a testament of the rebellion that God had delivered him from. I have to admit, I was pretty proud of my profound connection, and shared it with the entire group.

I even thought that it must have been an idea that was inspired by the Spirit, in just that moment, specifically so that I could share such a profound insight with my Bible Study group.

THEN, on the ride home, I decided that I had better look up the story of old Jonah, and verify that there was in fact some reference to him being covered with scars as a result of being inside the belly of the sea beast. It's a good thing I did. Turns out I imagined the whole thing. Well, maybe imagined is too strong a word.

I did in fact hear a sermon once, where the pastor suggested that it was likely that Jonah would bear some physical scarring as a result of what he had been through. But such an idea was mere speculation, and is in no way indicated by anything that can be found in scripture. I know because I looked. Extensively.

And then I sent out a group email to the entire Bible study group, explaining that I had been mistaken. Because, in the joy of what I thought was the "leading of the Spirit," I had actually claimed that scripture referred to Jonah's scars. It was an honest mistake, really it was. I certainly had no intention of misleading those women. But I did.

I think it is more likely that if the Holy Spirit were involved in that whole scenario in any way, it was by prompting me to go back and look at what the Bible ACTUALLY said. Not what I thought it said.

So that, all two of you who read this blog, is why I think it is best to be very cautious about what we attribute to the Spirit. Sometimes it is just our own human minds getting carried away.

Now, I think my dishwasher is calling my name. Or is that the Holy Spirit?????

1 comment:

Kelli said...

:) Thnaks for being so honest. It was also very humble of you to e-mail the rest of the group with your retraction. You have such a teachable spirit.