Monday, November 26, 2007

Rain, Rain

Psalm 147:7-8

"Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving;
Sing praises on the harp to our God,
Who covers the heavens with clouds,
Who prepares rain for the earth,
Who makes grass to grow on the mountains."

It is pouring here right now. I don't live near Atlanta, but I am in Georgia, and the whole state has been pretty dry. I just checked weather.com, and although it doesn't look like Atlanta is getting any rain, I am thankful for what we are getting in South Georgia.

When I heard the rain start pounding on the roof, I stopped what I was doing and said a prayer of gratitude. I heard a sermon about prayer once that reminded us to pray and thank God when He answers our prayers. For instance, how many times have you prayed and asked God for a safe road trip? When you got to your destination, did you say another prayer of thanks? I've been trying to put that into practice ever since.

Just like living through a literal drought makes me thankful for rain, it is often when I have experienced a spiritual drought that I newly appreciate the manifold blessing given to me by God. I am taken to a place where I must realize all over again, how deep and wide and amazing God's grace is. When I see myself as I am, and when I see God as He is, I am astounded. That He not only accepts me, but loves me and calls me His treasure is beyond my ability to understand.

That is why God's gift of faith is required for us to understand. Because, really, it makes no sense at all from our perspective.

No comments: