Friday, July 18, 2008

On Tennis and Assembling

So, I had my first tennis lesson today. I've been playing for about a year now, and doing a semi-decent job of it. But I decided it was high time that I get the input of a real professional. For one thing, my forehand just plain stinks. I can hit a backhand all day, but give me a forehand, and I can only hit the ball decently about half the time.

The lesson was good, by the way. Almost immediately, the instructor told me two pretty vital things that I had no idea I was doing wrong. Really simple things, too, like keep your eye on the ball until you have hit it (duh!). But I have always looked at my opponent when I hit the ball. I expect to be playing at a professional level now that I have that problem fixed. OK, just kidding.

But I'll tell you what it made me think of, after I stopped feeling idiotic for making such a simple error. We all have things to learn from others. Not a single one of us has got this Christianity thing down so well that we can go solo from now on. I absolutely LOVE to spend time around women who are more mature in their faith than I am. One woman in particular always makes me wish I could just stand next to her and absorb her great wisdom and gentleness through osmosis. It doesn't work that way, unfortunately, but if it did, she is the one I'd be pushing people out of the way to stand next to. (See, I really can use some extra gentleness!)

There have been some people I've come across here and there who advocate leaving church altogether and just going it alone with God. I have such a hard time understanding how that could benefit anyone.

I know, I know, churches are far from perfect. They are full of sinners, and people who rub you the wrong way. There are all of those generational differences to overcome, and some people have some rather "interesting" views that are naturally a hairbreadth away from being heresy, in your humble opinion. And, of course, everyone knows that churches are full of hypocrites, and who wants to associate themselves with those sorts?

But the Bible speaks specifically to being part of a body of believers in Hebrews 10: 24-25:

" And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. " (emphasis mine)

You will notice something from that verse. The assembling together that is commanded is just as much for the benefit of "one another" as it is for each of us individually. We have each been gifted differently. We need each other because God has given us gifts that are to be used for the service of the body. Not just for our own selfish benefit.

Maybe you are a super-intelligent theological genius and all those unintelligent, theologically illiterate churchgoers get on your nerves. Well, maybe they have a thing or two to teach you about serving through love. Perhaps you are a humble servant who gets frustrated that nobody else wants to lend a helping hand and you end up with all of the grunt work. It could be that you need to be inspired to rest in the beauty of God's perfect grace. Whatever the case may be, we need each other.

Romans 12:4-6

"For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them:"

I know some of you who read this blog, and I know that you are super involved in your church. But I certainly don't know everyone who stumbles by here. So if you happen to read this, and you aren't a member of a church, by all means find one and get involved. I can promise you one thing. You won't find a church that is perfect. And even if you did, chances are that you would ruin it the moment you walked in the door. So, give grace where grace is needed, but don't alienate yourself from God's established means of ministering to the saints: church.

2 comments:

Talitha said...

There definitely isn't a perfect church. . .especially since a church is made up of sinful people. However, we can't let that keep us away. :-) We need those people to lift us up! As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. It's a mutual relationship. :-)

Regina said...

I don't play tennis but thanks for the tip. It doesn't really matter what we are doing, tennis or church, if our focus is on the wrong thing we'll mess up everytime.