Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Babes of Nineveh

If you haven't read yesterday's post, Apocalypto, you might want read it before you read this post.

Of all the events in the Old Testament, I think the hardest to comprehend is when God either kills a child (as in David and Bathsheba's child through adultery) or orders that children be killed, as He did during the conquest of Canaan, and in the early years of the Jewish monarchy.

I brought the topic up yesterday, but I have some more thoughts, and a different Biblical example, to share. It has to do with Jonah, and the task he was given to preach repentance to the Assyrian city of Nineveh. Most of you are probably familiar with the part of Jonah's story that involves the belly of the great fish. But today, I want to talk about what happened after that unhappy-for-Jonah encounter.

The whole reason that Jonah ended up as almost-fish-food is because he didn't want to do what God expressly ordered him to do: Go and tell the city of Nineveh that God intended to destroy them for their great evil. You can hardly blame poor Jonah. The Ninevites, who were Assyrians, were legendary for their gross cruelty. They did things like skin prisoners alive, put out eyes, pull out tongues, disembowel children, and cut open pregnant women. (Excuse me while I gag in horror.) Oh, another favorite tactic was impaling people on sharp sticks through their, ehem, back parts, and letting them die slowly. All in all, a very gentle and pleasant ancient culture.

Despite Jonah's attempts to flee, he eventually does comply. He goes to the city, walks through it and cries out, "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!" (Jonah 3:4)

So do the Ninevites get ticked, lay hands on him and commit one of their famous atrocities? No, instead, and totally unexpectedly to Jonah, they actually repent. Even the king puts on sackcloth, sits in ashes and decrees a fast, in order that God might repent of destroying them.

And God does relent. He decides not to destroy Nineveh after all. Jonah, however, does not relent. He is furious. So furious, in fact, that he tells God to go ahead and kill him!

But I'm getting sidetracked here. The real point of this post is to be found in the very last verse of the book of Jonah.

(God responds to Jonah's anger)

Jonah 4:11

"And should I not pity Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot discern between their right hand and their left--and much livestock?'

Now that is interesting. Totally apart from their repentance, because, after all, how can an infant or very young child repent, particularly when they have not actively committed the atrocities their forefathers are famous for; God gives the great number of babies and children living in Nineveh as part of the reason He will have mercy instead of bring down destruction.

So what is the difference between those babes in Nineveh and those babes in Amalek? Thought provoking isn't it?

Both were born to wicked and cruel parents. Both were born to the enemies of Israel. Both came from cultures that worshiped pagan gods. Why spare one set of babes, and bring down wrath on another?

I have a neat little answer in my head, and it doesn't have anything to do with the repentance of the Ninevite parents by the way. But, really, I'm more curious to hear what your answers might be. Tell me what you think. I promise I won't bite. Or skin you alive.

11 comments:

marie said...

This has something to do with Calvinism, doesn't it? Unmerited favor?

Hold on. Age of accountability....the babies and young children went to heaven after the Israelites wiped them out, so it was really an act of mercy? No no no. Hold on a sec.

He knew that the Amalekites weren't going to repent....and their culture/nation was much much closer to the Israelites geographically, so therefore, they "had to" be destroyed in order to protect Israel from being corrupted? No wait -- they tried that in Joshua and it didn't work. The Hebrews still got all corrupt and evil.

I'm interested to hear what you've concluded; these passages have always tormented me, as well.

Morbid piece of trivia to tuck up your sleeve - those torture methods you described, notably the flaying and impalement method on stake - the Ottoman Turks were doing them all on the Bulgarians and other Slavs under their domani as recently as the 18th century. Why? Because they refused to convert to Islam. There is a great movie (based on a classic book) I think every would-be missionary to the Balkans should watch (unfortunately, it's in Bulgarian but they should get it subtitled) - "Time of Violence".

There's this one scene I cannot watch - I had to leave the room - where they did that to an old man and another where they strung someone up on a hook. My point is, it wasn't just the ancient, pre-Christian civilizations that were doing that. Kinda shocking when you realize much of the Apostle John and some of Paul's ministries were in what is now modern-day Turkey.

Hadassah said...

And I'll one up you Marie, and point out that the Holocaust was with a generation of us!!!! Such unspeakable acts of cruelty, and not very long ago at all.

If you like subtitled films "To Live" is a Chinese movie that follows the rise and fall of one family during the communist revolution in China. It is excellent. Nothing religious about it, but a very acurate picture of life in China before and after communism.

I'm not going to put my "real" answer out for a little while. I'm curious to see if I get any responses other than yours.

But you did sort of touch on part of the answer ;-)

I can't promise that you'll like it though!

marie said...

I'm at the very least a 3.5 point Calvinist myself, and I think the answer boils down to God's sovereign will in the end. My pastor (a grad of Macarthur's Master's Seminary) has preached on this very (hard) subject when we were going through Joshua. We just can't "judge" God's justice system by our own imperfect sense of judgment. Hard to swallow, but His holiness is so perfect we can't even imagine the vast chasm of difference between our vantage point and His.

I'm going to look up that film in the foreign section of Netflix right now. The Cultural Revolution was an unbelievable horrid time in history as well.....and only 50 years ago. :(

Hadassah said...

Marie, just when I start thinking that I'm a smarty pants, I get totally thrown...by your obviously sarcastic joke about the Cultural Revolution. I think I spent 20 mins trying to figure out which cultural revolution, in which country, and involving what atrocities, you were talking about.

Now I get it! Ha!

I better take my vitamins today.

Hope you enjoy "To Live."

Ali said...

Alright, this was the first verse that came to mind, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." I suppose that would chalk it up to the sovereignty (why does that look misspelled?)of God. Or, that it was about Jonah's heart...revealing his bad theology regarding who God should and shouldn't spare. That's all I have time for, I'll check back soon...I'm anxious to see what you have...and more details on your Bible Study...that sounds like I would want to poke my nose in there and see what you are doing!

marie said...

Uhh.....what joke?

The Cultural Revolution....Chairman Mao....China in the '60's. It was a nightmarish time - I wasn't being sarcastic.

I did check Netflix and the have it -- so I added it to my queue. Thanks for the tip!

Hadassah said...

See now, I thought you were talking about hippies and such, and trying to be funny.

I guess this is an excelent example of the drawbacks of communicating via blog comments.

(Sighing and hitting my forehead.)

marie said...

Ah! No - but you're right; that's funny. Hippies. Mwa-haha!

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution

Between Mao and Stalin, I think about 40 million people were killed, or something staggering like that. Unbelievable my in-laws still hold to that eveil ideology.

Aaaaaanyway....back to topic.

Hey, is it just me, or does anyone else find repentance of the same sin gets harder and harder as time goes on?? At least the Ninevites didn't know any better...sigh.

Regina said...

I'm not really educated enough to talk about all of this history stuff but I think it all boils down to His sovereignty. And who are we to question Him? He is good regardless of what we may think at times. One day it'll all make sense and right now we just have to trust that He knows what He is doing. He is God after all.

And Marie, Yes! Repenting of the same sin does get harder and harder. I think it's a pride thing.

Hadassah said...

I sure do have some smart and perceptive readers!

Marie, when it comes to repenting, particularly over repetitive sin, I find myself getting discouraged that I HAVE to repent, again!, more so than I resist doing it.

But my biggest struggle is with pride. And I have to repent of that like, a hundred times a day, just on account of my thought life. Sheesh. Paul wasn't kidding when he said...what I want to do I don't do and what I don't want to do I do.

But come to think of it, its pretty comforting that even powerful and passionate Paul confessed to struggling with sin. I always wish for a little bit more "Paul" in my personality. (The passionate part.)

marie said...

But my biggest struggle is with pride. And I have to repent of that like, a hundred times a day, just on account of my thought life. Sheesh. Paul wasn't kidding when he said...what I want to do I don't do and what I don't want to do I do.

Oh thank the LORD that it's not just me!!

:)