Saturday, August 30, 2008

Odd Reunions

I have a confession to make. I am a Facebook addict. I seriously love the social networking system called Facebook. I have literally found friends that I haven't spoken to or even thought of in over 20 years. Some people seem to be exactly the same. Some people have changed dramatically throughout the course of their lives. I feel like I'm one of those "changers", and every once in a while it gets hammered home to me.

Some of the old friends I have been reconnecting with knew me during my wildest years. Years when I ran as far and as fast from God as I possibly could. When I look back on those years, I have to admit, I had some fun. But I also had a lot of inner turmoil, and a deep sense of emptiness and inadequacy. Even with the fun times, I wouldn't relive those years the same way, if I was given the chance to do it all again. (Boy, is than an understatement.)

And how do you communicate something so profound to a long lost friend via email or instant messaging? I don't know. I wish I did. Not that I feel like I need to give my entire testimony to every old acquaintance that I find online. But with some of them, if we were to meet face-to-face, I would feel compelled to do exactly that.

So, I've been thinking of these verses today.

Phil 3:13,14

"Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

This internet stuff is changing the world, my friends. In some really big ways, and in some very small and personal ways as well.

1 comment:

Talitha said...

It was good to see you at the store yesterday! :-)