Sunday, August 03, 2008

Distracted and (Not) Glamorous

I've been totally neglecting this blog for the past week. I've just been, well...distracted. By all sorts of regular life things, nothing particularly glamorous. I did go to the beach for a few days with some family, and that was nice, but still nothing out of the ordinary for most people.

I've also been spending a great deal of time researching, writing, deleting, and re-writing portions of a real-life Bible study I am working on. So most of my inspiration is being stored up for pouring out at some future date. My poor little blog has been getting scraps lately.

And, I don't have any scripture for this half-post. But I want to tell all of you something. There are no glamorous Christians. (And if there were, I want those of you who know me to understand beyond any shadow of anything that even resembles a doubt, I would not be one of them.) You might think there are. There are certainly some who seem to be. Some Christians have written meaningful books, or pack out stadiums when they speak in public. Some have been through traumatic experiences, and seem to have some kind of super-special connection to God as a result.

Well, you know what? God doesn't play favorites. We are all equal before God. And we all have equal access to God, and equal access to Scripture. There are not levels of glamour and glory in this walk with Christ through these little lives that we live here on Earth. We are all just people, alike in our need for a Redeemer, alike in our tendancy to sin, and alike in our inclination to glorify ourselves or other people instead of glorifying God Almighty.

So just don't do it. Don't glorify your fellow Christian. No matter how glamorous they may appear to be. Glorify God. He is the only one who deserves it anyway.

(OK, I changed my mind about not having a Scripture verse for this post.)

Romans 2:11

"For there is no partiality with God."

I hope to have something a little bit meatier to share in the next day or so, so check back. In the mean time, as always.....

No comments: