Thursday, August 28, 2008

Unheavenly Things

Just wanted to check in with you, friendly readers. I'm doing fine, I'm just plain busy. But things should settle down here in the next few days, and I'm eager to get a good post up.

In the meantime, something occured to me this morning. I'm pretty sure that cockroaches will not be in heaven. Now, of course, God can do whatever he wants in heaven, and I'm sure that if He decides to allow cockroaches, then they will be some fantastic cockroaches. And we will enjoy their presence immensely.

But as I was cleaning the bathroom sink this morning, and a big sucker of a roach ran out of the drain, causing me to scream so loud that the dog came running, barking and freaked out; it occured to me that we just shouldn't have those nasty things in heaven. Spiders either. They in fact, are worse than roaches, and I'd take a two inch long flying cockroach over a two inch long spider any day of the year.

Even in the little things, I'm longing for heaven. A heaven free of horrible roaches and spiders. Maybe we should just go ahead and put in a request for no snakes either. Whatcha think? What do you hope to never encounter again once we have passed into glory?

Now excuse me, I think the heebie-jeebies have worn off enough that I can go and clean the toilet.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I just killed a big ol' spider in my basement laundry room today (took four or five tries with my crazy "swipe-scream-miss" method), so I agree with you, Hadassah, no spiders or roaches in heaven! :-)

Hadassah said...

Kathryn,That made me laugh out loud! I do the "swipe-scream-miss" thing too!

I had to beat the roach to death with a toothpaste box, b/c it was the only thing handy. It was horrible!!!!

Yet another reason I'm glad I'm not a Hindu. They don't kill anything, spiders included. As a child, my family moved into a rental house that was previously inhabited by some Hindus. And let me tell you, it was infested.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that my missionary parents should get some kind of special reward in heaven for living in that house. ;-)

Regina said...

That was too funny! I needed a good laugh.

I can one-up both of you! When we were getting ready to move into our first house we discovered it had these crazy things that looked like spiders and jumped like crickets. I saw my husband without success try a method called "swipe-scream-and-RUN." Needless to say we bombed the house before moving in. Therefore, I am SURE that spider-crickets will not be in heaven!

Ali said...

The bugs where you live, Hadassah, are on steroids. We do not miss them, not one bit. We still have bugs...now I just let the spiders go on their way in hopes that they will eat the others...

Talitha said...

One of my students said that he devil made roaches yesterday afternoon. . .

hehe.

Anonymous said...

That was too funny! I agree though, I would not be disappointed to find out that roaches, spiders and snakes were not in heaven! The swipe-scream-miss method is true for me too. When we lived near a field we would get those huge water roaches that would sound like a mouse was running around. At least yours came out of your sink drain, I had one come out in the shower!