Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A Dog By The Ears

I almost laughed out loud.

You see, very occasionally, I get fired up. I try to contain myself, and I usually do a good job. But there are times when I wish I could get problem-causing (in my opinion, of course) people in a room, sit 'em all down, and set 'em all straight. And you know, sometimes that is exactly what is called for. (But I think it's pretty rare, especially for me to be the setter-straighter.)

Tonight, I was searching through Scripture, trying to find that "perfect" verse to call down on another person. I was full of righteous indignation, too. The other party was clearly in the wrong, and clearly blind to that fact, and clearly needed some setting straight.

And I found the perfect verse all right, but it wasn't for the other party.

Proverbs 26:17

"He who passes by and meddles in a quarrel not his own
Is like one who takes a dog by the ears."

Duly noted, Lord, duly noted. I'll just let that dog pass on by...

And it gets better.

Proverbs 26:20

"When there is no wood, the fire goes out;
And when there is no talebearer, strife ceases."

Gotcha. No more tale-bearing-strife-causing wood for this fire.

Sometimes we just have to put our fingers in our ears and stop listening. Cause, girls, I can do without the strife.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

:) True!

Regina said...

So true! I've taken that dog by the ears before. And every time I come away crying, and thinking. . . why didn't I just mind my own business??? That had nothing to do with me anyway, now I look like the bad guy. What is that all about???


Good post! Even though I've experienced it doesn't mean I don't still need the reminder.

Anonymous said...

You have NO idea how timely this message is! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You have NO idea how timely this message is! Thank you.

Ali said...

I love reading your blog! Thanks for the reminder...I'll read it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next....