Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Bathsheba!

Somehow in the past week and a half of a crazy schedule, getting prepped for the Ruth Bible study, having a bout with food poisoning/stomach virus, and heading out of town with the whole family, I have totally missed the first anniversary of Bathsheba's Children!

AND, I've been saving a story just for this occasion. So here it is, a little bit behind schedule...

God works in big and small ways, my friends. Sometimes the small things turn out to be big things. Like this blog.

A little over a year ago, my husband started blogging. You can find a link to his page on the left. I had never really thought that much about blogging up until that point, but suddenly, it seemed to be just the thing I was searching for. I was in the midst of a serious spiritual awakening (OK, I don't really have any idea what to label the "thing" that I was experiencing, so consider "spiritual awakening" my best shot at describing something that is beyond my ability to describe.)

I had all of these thoughts and realizations hitting me one after the other "bam, bam, bam." And I didn't know what to do with them. I was pretty much wearing out my friends by going on and on about God and the Bible every time we spoke. I can see that there is a time and a place for that, but honestly, it was getting to the point of obnoxiousness. I am all for being effective and persistent and deliberate, but there is a point...you know what I am talking about...when it becomes ineffective, annoying and alienating.

Anyhow, blogging seemed like the most awesome prospect for dealing with all of the things that I just had to get out, and feel like I was getting them out in a way that other people could hear them, so to speak.

Only one problem. My husband highly, highly, values online anonymity. He was solidly against me writing a blog. And girls, I must tell you, I am solidly FOR Biblical submission, of each wife to her own husband. To be fair, he wasn't totally against the blog, period, but there were so many "cautions" and "conditions" associated with the whole thing that I almost felt like it wasn't worth the effort. And he was highly skeptical that I could blog effectively and still remain anonymous, based on what I wanted to talk about on the blog. (You have noticed nary a reference to my kids, haven't you? That is absolutely deliberate. If they were fair fodder, this blog would have twice as many posts.)

And so, after only two posts, I deleted this blog. I actually deleted it. I mean, I went online, signed into my account, fooled around with the various menus, found the button that says "Delete This Blog" and clicked on it...twice.

And twice, I got an error message, informing me that the blog could not be deleted, due to some technical problem the site was experiencing. I thought that was sort of strange.

So the next day, I did the same thing. I signed in, etc, etc, and deleted the blog. Same response. Technical problem, no deletion possible. Hmm.

Then I realized. Sometimes God uses small things to make bigger things happen. Small things like technical glitches that prevent a blog from being deleted. So I just kept putting up posts, and eventually I even told some of my friends about this little project of mine. A few of you found me online and started reading and leaving comments. And one or two of you have even emailed me privately, or spoken to me in person, about things that you have learned from this little thing I do on the side, when I have the time, that have affected you personally.

And now, a whole year later, I am almost crying about it. I had no idea I had all of this in me. Or better yet, that the Holy Spirit was waiting to put it into me, so I could put it all here. 'Cause really, friends, I'm not that smart, I'm not more spiritual than you, I don't have a higher degree of Biblical comprehension. I just love God. And I love His Holy Word. And I really want others to love both of those things like I do.

So, if Bathsheba's Children has done either of those things for you, mission accomplished. Its a big thing. And it was a little thing that got it all started (and kept it going.)

PS-to the very first person to leave a comment on this blog--Classic Mama, you have no idea how exciting that was for me.

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Well, then, I'm glad to be the first to wish you and blog a happy anniversary. ;) It has been a joy to read your thoughts. I do read them every post...I just don't always have time to comment. You are an excellent teacher and a wonderful woman. :)

Talitha said...

Yay for blogs!! :-) It does help you get stuff out.. .I know people probably HATE hearing about my kids all the time! Good thing I blog too!

Kathryn said...

Well, I, for one, am delighted that the Lord kept you on task! Blogland is much richer for your presence here ...

Regina said...

Happy Anniversary!!
And let me just say your love for Him shows (even in bloggy land).

I downloaded your 1st session on Ruth and I can't wait to hear session 2.

I am so glad "God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." 1 Corinthians 1:27

Ali said...

I just love feeling like we're keeping in touch. I understand that you can't show your kids...but I am gettin' curious...we'll have to make a trip one day...maybe when there is gas again!!! Loved hearing your voice on the Ruth study...excellent...I look forward to sing it with me..."and many more..."

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I love reading your posts.

Well, the "delete this blog" button worked just fine for me, the first time I hit it. I know that in my case, it was the right thing to do. My husband didn't even know about the blog, and there was much personal info on there.

Good luck with the Ruth study! You have so much knowledge and insight, I'm sure many will be blessed.

~Marie

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary :) I really really enjoy reading your blogs and either learn something new or am comforted everytime. I tried to blog and I still have the option I know, but maybe one day I will kinda just start like you and it'll be the right time.
Thanks for blogging

Anonymous said...

Happy blog anniversary to you! I'm glad that God kept you going! Your love for God and His Word shines through in your posts.