Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Slaughter of the Innocents

I started my day reading in the Gospel of Matthew. Even though I know what is coming, the account of King Herod killing all the baby boys in Bethlehem always upsets me. Especially since I have become a mother myself. I cannot even begin to image watching a soldier wrench my precious child from my arms to murder him.

Matthew 2:16

"Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determinded from the wise men."

I was already emotional because baby Jesus had just been born (in my reading), and for some reason that always makes me cry. Then Herod orders all of those sweet innocent babies put to death.

The next verses only added to my emotional drama.

Matthew 2:17-18

"Then was fulfilled what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying:

A voice was heard in Ramah,
Lamentation, weeping, and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children,
Refusing to be comforted,
Because they are no more."

I sort of felt like weeping myself. Not too long after that, it was time to get the day started, get the family out of bed and feed everyone. I turned on the news.

I have known that September 11th was coming. For a few months I have had today's date floating around in my mind. I always wonder what each anniversary will be like, if I will find it as jarring and devastating as I did the first time around.

This morning, it was almost too much. I stood in my kitchen, with my children safely out of view, and let myself just cry. The news was showing footage of that day that I remember so vividly. I can tell you all the details of that morning, but I'll spare you my recollections. I'm sure that you have some of your own.

All of those people in the airplanes, and in the towers, and in the Pentagon--murdered. Thousands of years ago, in a remote Jewish village, hardly important enough to garner King Herod's attention, and obviously not important enough for him to travel to in order to see the "king of the Jews" that the maggi came seeking, all of those baby boys--murdered.

In the case of September 11th, 2001, it seems that those responsible may escape earthly justice. And King Herod obviously never faced a judge and jury for his atrocities.

So what on earth are we to do about such horrible crimes, and such horrible injustices, that are never answered for here on earth?

Well, I've kind of answered my own question in the way I posed the question. Some justice just won't get done here on earth. But there is one Judge that every single human being, from every period of human history, will have a date with. And there will be no escape from His justice. He is El Roi, the God-Who-Sees. And all will answer to His justice one way or another.

King Herod already has. As far as the other well known terrorist who will remain nameless on this blog, you can be sure that he will too.

Isa 66:16

"For by fire and by His sword The LORD will judge all flesh;"

4 comments:

Regina said...

Thank you for this post Hadassah. I too have many thoughts that come to mind when I think of that day. I am thankful that our God is in control ~ that day did not catch Him off gaurd. He will get the last word.

Thank you for blogging. I can't say enough how much I enjoy coming here and reading your insights. You are very wise. And I pray that you continue to grow in wisdom (Godly wisdom).
Have a great day!

Kathryn said...

Amen, Hadassah! Beautifully expressed. And, what a wonderful (but horrible!) analogy of King Herod.

Our God is El Roi. He is the God Who sees. He is just. He is righteous. And His justice and righteousness will prevail.

Weekend blessings ...

Hadassah said...

Regina, I've been called a lot of things in my life. But being called "wise" is maybe the nicest name I've ever been tagged with.

I'm flattered. Thank you.

And keep praying. I can always use wisdom. (Thanks for that too!)

Talitha said...

I definitely have some memories of Sept. 11, 2001. I taught my students about it on Thursday. It's crazy to think that they were only like 4 or 5 when it happened. It seems like just yesterday.

Justice will come just like you said. Thankfully we have that Just Judge.