Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bathsheba Lite

OK, so I know that Bathsheba has been a little on the lite side lately, as far as deep and insightful material dealing with Scripture. It is this Ruth Bible Study, y'all. It is taking up all of my good inspiration! Pretty much every deep thought that I have, I have managed to work into the book of Ruth somehow. That is probably why I talked for 55 minutes last session! Seriously, I know that is waaaaay too long to talk. I'm going to try to contain myself a bit more next time (which won't be until January, by the way, in case you are following the study.)

But since I'm being lite-minded around here, I thought you girls might like this recipe. It is actually a recipe that I have come up with all by my lonesome self.

See, I love a good beef stew. It is just about my favorite thing to eat. But after I had each of my babies, I needed to shed some serious pounds. And the diet that always worked for me was a low-carb diet. So, this is my twist on beef stew without the high-carb potatoes.

Beef and Turnip Stew

8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
4 celery ribs, sliced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, diced (or 1 bag of frozen diced onions)
1 1/2 lbs stew beef
6 (or so) medium-smallish sized turnips, peeled and diced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (or if you want a spicy beef and turnip stew, make this 1 tsp of
pepper. I did this by accident once and it turned out pretty good--but spicy.)
2 cups beef broth
1 bay leaf (optional)

Put all of the ingredients in a big crock pot on low for 6 hours. Remove the bay leaf. Indulge in fabulous beef and turnip stew. Email Hadassah and heap praise upon her for inventing this awesome recipe.

*Serves at least 6, probably 8
*You can also make this with fresh diced rutabaga (a root vegetable for those of you not from around these parts) instead of turnips. Both versions are delicious.
*We are eating this tonight at my house, served with skillet cornbread, 'cause I have given up being on a diet for the time being.

2 comments:

Marie said...

It sounds yummy, but I would serve it with a big dish of egg noodles, or better yet, au gratin potatoes. :)

I do like my carbs!

(55 minutes you talked?? They don't let me do that. What are you, taping video sessions, a la Beth Moore??)

Hadassah said...

Actually, egg noodles sound pretty good right about now. With butter!

And yes, I get to stand up and give a lesson during the Bible study. I usually talk for 45 minutes, but I went long last time. I teach a lesson and then we break up for small group discussion time. It was the best format I could come up with for a group of moms with young children who didn't want to commit to doing any outside homework, but still wanted a "meaty" Bible study.

And, I'm only taping the audio. Mainly because a friend of mine asked me to tape it so she could listen to it.