Friday, November 28, 2008

A Proverb for Bloggers

Proverbs 10:19

"In the multitude of words, sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise."

I started thinking about this rich little proverb today. I am, by nature, a person who hardly ever lacks a multitude of words. Believe me, I'm much better at letting the other guy get a word in edgewise than I used to be. But still, if I don't consciously restrain myself, I will fill up all the air in a room with my own words. So, naturally, this blunt little proverb is one that I need to remember. Pretty much all the time. (And for any of you who happen to be in my Sunday School class, I should probably have read this proverb to myself 10 times last week. Sheesh. Sorry about that.)

But it has relevence for all of you, my fellow bloggers, as well. You see, as delightful and amazing as this whole blogging thing is, it is also rife with potential pitfalls. It is far too easy to get online and spout off about something or someone without fully appreciating the consequences our little catharsis might have.

Perhaps you are disgrutled with a friend or family member and it motivates you to blog. Naturally, you change the names and personal details so that your subject can't identify herself in your post. Or so you think...

Or, you hear a cautionary tale about a friend of a friend and you think it would make a great post. You can't imagine that this friend of a friend might ever stumble upon your blog, say, two years later, and find their story advertised to the entire world. Never mind that your friend probably didn't authorize you to spill the beans to begin with.

Maybe you write a funny story about your spouse. It sure does crack up all of your friends! But your spouse isn't nearly as amused, and 3 of your friends have already read it by the time you delete the post. There is no taking it back.

And perhaps the worst offense of all is blogging about a matter that is best dealt with quietly, and only between the two people involved. Why share the details of your dispute with cyberspace?

We would all be wise, my blogging friends, to use great caution when we participate in this amazing blogging technology. Because, where there is a multitude of words, sin is present. And more than likely, were there is a multitude of blog posts, sin is hanging around someplace close by.

I share this caution as one who has been bitten by blogging indiscretion. I've had to go back and delete some old posts myself.

3 comments:

Mrs. Erven said...

Ouch...warning taken.

DOJ Momma said...

Thanks for the GREAT advice. I've always thought that cyberspace could be the devil's playground if not used with wisdom and discretion. Being a new blogger, I will certainly heed your warning.

Hadassah said...

To Sarah--I'm "ouching" right along with you! Sometimes I write these things just as much to myself as to anyone else. I can't tell you how many times I've had to restrain myself from blogging about things that would be inappropriate for cyberspace. Especially as more and more people who actually know me have started to read this blog.

And to DOJ Momma--girl, I'm glad to spare you any of the discomfort I have felt by making some unwise decisions.