Monday, November 10, 2008

Emily the Chickadee

Two things you should know before you read this post. One, I don't buy very many children's books. My mother tends to gift me with armloads of them and I have stacks of them all over my house. I don't especially enjoy making my life more complicated than it already is, hence I don't purchase very many books to add the the aforementioned stacks. Two, I got this particular children's book for free! A reader sent it to me and asked me if I would write a review of the book for my blog. (Well, she said she was a reader. I have my doubts, but still--free book!)


Anyway, I must say that Emily Waits for Her Family is a sweet little story. It is gentle and easy and paced just right for young children. (I get sort of weary of the flashy, sassy, spunky characters splashed all over many of the books marketed to young children these days.) It is written in rhyme, which is nice for early readers, and for little listening ears.

The book follows the story of a chickadee named Emily who builds a nest, lays some eggs and feeds her chicks all under the careful observation of a young girl. The illustrations are colorful without being flashy and friendly without being childish. The book is printed on very high quality paper. I actually kept thinking that I had turned two pages instead of one because the paper was so substantial.

So anyway, I give the book two thumbs up. There is nothing Christian or Biblical about it. But if you are looking for an innocent children's story that explores nature, this is a good option.

No comments: