Saturday, April 12, 2008

Things You Never Imagined...

were in the Bible. I saw this yesterday as I was researching my kinsman-redeemer post. It tickled me so much that I had to post about it. But it didn't quite fit with the whole feel of my kinsman-redeemer post, so here it is all by its lonesome, quirky little self.

If you open your Bible and read 1 Kings 16:11, you will probably see a verse that sounds like this:

"As soon as he began to reign and was seated on the throne, he killed off Baasha's whole family. He did not spare a single male, whether relative or friend."

But if you read that same verse in the King James Version (not the New King James Version, which is what I usually use) you will see this:

"And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends."

Pisseth against a wall? Well, I guess that is one way to describe a man! Can you believe this same phrase is found 6 times in the Old Testament? AND, it is the literal translation of the Hebrew!

The Bible never ceases to amaze me....

3 comments:

marie said...

ROFL!!!! That is funny, at least to my redeemed-yet-still-slightly-twisted mind. It's funny in the same sort of way Natalia's little belch at the end of "Jesus Loves Me" was hilarious.

Maybe we're not completely sanctified....potty humor still amuses us!!

Kelli said...

:) I remember when a well respected woamn in our church did a teaching that included that verse and she read it and commented on it. There's ntohing that makes me laugh more than a prim, proper older woman laughing at herself while reading and explaining that verse. :)

Anonymous said...

Now that is funny! I had no idea that was in the Bible, the old English makes it even more humorous.