Friday, September 28, 2007

For I Know

Job 19:25-27

"For I know that my Redeemer lives,
And He shall stand at last on the earth;
And after my skin is destroyed, this I know,
That in my flesh I shall see my God,
Whom I shall see for myself,
And my eyes shall behold, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!"

Job is a pretty tough book, on a lot of levels. I spent several weeks reading through it this past summer, and even though I was dreading it a little bit, it was so rich. I was dreading it because we all know what happens to Job, and I tend to get emotionally caught up in the plight of the people recorded in the Bible. Plus, even though it is nowhere near as devastating as what happened to Job, I have been through some deep valleys, and it is not usually much fun to start reliving those things. But fortunately, that was not my experience in reading Job. Oh, there were plenty of times when my heart ached for Job's suffering. But my own suffering seemed ridiculous in comparison.

This verse expresses so beautifully the reason that I live with such joy. I really really do. I am not just saying that I live in victory because it is what a Christian is supposed to say. I have real, pure JOY. And it is because I know that my Redeemer lives, that in my flesh I shall see God. The thought of it is enough to break me into pieces because I can hardly stand the beauty and joy of it. I know that makes me a little strange. I get that. And I certainly don't wish to be a weirdo. But I wouldn't trade this joy for anything the world has to offer.

How my heart yearns within me! I yearn for God's perfect creation, the way it was meant to be. I yearn for a new heaven and a new earth. There are things in this present life that I love immensely. My babies and my husband, my friends and family members. But even those things would be better, more perfect and full of joy in heaven. How my heart yearns within me! And it is the knowledge of this eternity that makes today joyful. The hope of things to come.

Philippians 3:7-9

"But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith."

2 comments:

BethAnne said...

I found you through LPM and I have enjoyd reading your posts! Thanks for sharing what you are learning.

Jamie said...

I, too found you through LPM and I first read your blog this morning and it spoke to my heart. After a looong day at work, I have just read your entry for today and I know how that feels, to be so full of joy and love; to love and be so loved by my Savior. I have just recently gone through some dark days and have felt rather alone. Displaced in a way. Guilty and ashamed because I have let this world and things come between me and my Father. God works in the most simple ways. I know he lead me to your post. And in reading your post I am reminded of His unfailing love, unfailing guidance and unfailing grip He has on me. "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." One of the first verses I learn when I became a believer in Christ. I just love the part "no one can snatch them out of my hand" He is so wonderful and your words described Him beautifully.