Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Hornets of Sanctification

I am a big fan of Beth Moore. In fact, if you are reading this blog, chances are you found it because I posted a comment on her blog. She is the one who first inspired me to read the Old Testament and make personal applications from it. And boy have I! Ezra and Nehemiah are two of my favorite books of the Bible right now. I'll have to post my observations on them sometime. But for now, here is a great verse that means a lot to me.

Exodus 23:28-30, 31

"And I will send hornets before you, which shall drive out the Hivite, Canaanite, and the Hittite from before you. I will not drive them out from before you in one year, lest the land become desolate and the beasts of the field become too numerous for you. Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and you inherit the land. For I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into you hand, and you shall drive them out before you."

Now you may be wondering where I am going with this, but I see this as a great illustration of the way sanctification works. God is so merciful to us in letting us work out our sanctification little by little. He knows we can't handle it all at one time. Just like the Israelites who wouldn't have been able to handle all of the desolate lands and wild beasts at once, we can't handle every area of sin in our life at once. I know I couldn't.

God has been so patient with me. He has given me the turmoil, disappointment and pain that I needed to see my heart as it really was. In His great mercy, He has let me pass through the waters. But in His faithfulness, He has not let the waters sweep over me.

And here in Exodus is a great picture of sanctification. He promises the victory to us. We are given everything He promises us. But we have to do the driving out of our enemies. Their destruction is sure, but they are going to hang around swatting at hornets until we get to work and send 'em packing.

Isaiah 43: 1-3

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior"

Philippians 1:6

"being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;"

2 Corinthians 3:18

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."

1 comment:

Kelli said...

This is so amazing. My church offers a School of Ministry to the congregation. It's Bible school once a week. We're studying the Old Test. and last night we spoke about what possessing the land really means. To possess, you have to do two things: actually grab hold of it and live there and then drive out the inhabitants of the land.

I'm convinced that I "stumbled" on to your blog for a reason. WHen I read what God is planting in you, I can't help but smile.