Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I'm pretending...

...that I don't have a ton of other things to do right not. So this will have to be brief. I ran across one of my favorite passages of Scripture this morning.

Psalm 18: 37-42

"I have pursued my enemies and overtaken them;
Neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed.
I have wounded them,
So that they could not rise;
They have fallen under my feet.
For You have armed me with strength for the battle;
You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.
You have also given me the necks of my enemies,
So that I destroyed those who hated me.
They cried out, but there was none to save;
Even to the LORD, but He did not answer them.
Then I beat them as fine as dust before the wind;
I cast them out like dirt in the streets."

My enemies have come in many forms. A particularly potent enemy was my thought life. I was constantly recycling old sins in my mind, sometimes with guilty pleasure, but more often with accusations against myself, and loads of guilt. I really thought I might never be free from those thoughts.

But God armed me for the battle, and I destroyed those who hated me. I always picture demons pinging me with accusations and memories. Those demons hated me. And I got em good. They cried out their accusations against me to the LORD, but He did not answer them. Instead he gave ME victory, He gave me the oil of gladness, beauty instead of ashes and a robe of fine white linen. Then He rejoiced over me with singing, and quieted me with His love. Oh the mercy of our Father. And because He did these things for me, I was able to beat my enemies as fine as the dust before the wind, and cast them out like dirt in the streets.

I really have defeated those thoughts They are gone. If even a hint of them creeps in, it is like a very vague recollection that I can't seem to remember fully. The power they once had is destroyed.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I saw your comment over at Beth Moore's blog and I was intrigued by your name. I had to come over and visit. I will visit again, we seem to have a lot in common.