Friday, October 19, 2007

Blind Faith

I happen to drive a very large vehicle. I also happen to have a very small garage in which to park my vehicle. I also have a fairly narrow driveway, which further complicates getting that big vehicle inside the small garage. But I do it every single day, most days more than one time.

When we first moved into this house, it was a real challenge. I didn't even think it was possible for me to get the big ole thing in the garage at all. But somebody showed me how to do it, and I believed it could be done. So I started practicing. At first it took several tries to make it into the garage. I would have to pull forward, brake, back up, stop, check my mirrors, pull forward and back up again until I finally got it right.

But over time it really did get easier. I started to notice certain points that I had to get just right, and if I did, then my car would slide almost effortlessly into the garage. Whenever I have friends in the car with me, they are amazed that I can park it so easily. Because it really does seem effortless now. But that is certainly not how it started out. I have white stripes on each side of my car to prove it. (My garage is painted white!)

Last night I got home late, after dark. It was pouring down rain. I could barely see out my windshield. But even in that downpour, I didn't even think about it. I had practiced so many times that I just parked that humongous car in that tiny garage with hardly a thought.

It got me thinking that faith is a lot like that. It seems so hard at first, maybe even impossible. We read the Bible, and through it God tells us to trust Him, believe Him, love Him, have faith in Him. But trusting and having faith can be huge challenges. It takes practice. It takes trusting Him in small things, seeing them through and then trusting Him again in the next instance. And after a while, you find that even in the downpour, even in the blinding, furious storm, you can trust Him. You can do it effortlessly. You hardly even have to think about it. It just comes naturally. Kinda like when I backed that monster sized vehicle through that narrow garage door last night.

Ephesians 3:16-17

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith."

No comments: