Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Let us exalt His name together

Psalm 34:1-4, 8-9, 17-18

"I will bless the LORD at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul shall make its boast in the LORD;
The humble shall hear of it and be glad.

Oh, magnify the LORD with me,
And let us exalt His name together.

I sought the LORD, and He heard me,
And delivered me from all my fears.

Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.

The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears,
And delivers them out of all their troubles.
The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart,
And saves such as have a contrite spirit."



Now, all those verses may not seem to go together at first glance. You might wonder how having a broken heart and a contrite spirit work alongside phrases such as "taste and see that the LORD is good" and "His praise shall continually be in my mouth." Well, I have an idea about it that I want to share with you. But just as a caution, please see my post entitled Glory to God.

Here is another section of scripture that I think works to illustrate the point I am going to (try to) make. Let me set the scene for you. This comes from Nehemiah chapter 8. The books of Ezra and Nehemiah both deal with the time when the nation of Israel is moving out of captivity and being allowed to return to the promised land. They are trying to reestablish themselves according to God's law, and also rebuild the wall around Jerusalem. After the wall has been built, Ezra calls all of the people together and reads the Law of Moses to them. Remember that before they went into captivity, their society in general had disregarded God and the Law of Moses and engaged in open idolatry. And they have suffered greatly because of it.

Now here they are, trying to do what is commanded of them. They have successfully rebuilt the wall around Jerusalem through much trial, but it is finally done. They are now going to be taught the Law of Moses. Ezra reads it to them.

Nehemiah 8:8-12

So they read distinctly from the book, in the Law of God; and they gave the sense, and helped them to understand the reading. And Nehemiah, who was the governor, and Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, "This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn nor weep." For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law. Then he said to them, "Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." So the Levites quieted all the people, saying, "Be still for the day is holy; do not be grieved." And all the people went their way to eat and drink, to send portions and rejoice greatly, because they understood the words that were declared to them."

Did you get it? I can hardly type I am so excited about this. When the people heard the law they wept! Why? Because they understood the words that were declared to them! When they understood God's perfect Law, they understood their great sin. And when they understood their great sin, they wept and grieved. OH! That we may do the same! See our sin, weep and grieve, and come into agreement with God's opinion of it.

But, thankfully, it doesn't end there. What were they commanded to do? Eat and drink and send portions and REJOICE GREATLY! Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength. That is the good news. It hasn't changed in all these thousands of years. We can rejoice greatly because God was merciful to us and allowed us the opportunity to grieve our sins. If he had not graciously revealed them to us, do you think we would see them to begin with? I know I didn't. Sure, I knew that my actions were not according to God's law, I did grow up in the church after all. But it was not until God confronted me personally with my sins that I was able to genuinely grieve over them. To agree with God about how terrible they really were.

And after the grief, then came the joy. The real pure joy. The first of its kind in my life. Not transitory or conditional. But everlasting joy with no end. That is why a broken heart and a contrite spirit go hand in hand with "let us exalt His name together." Broken hearts healed by grace, and joy forevermore. What else could we possibly want?

Isaiah 55:2

"Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."

1 comment:

Jamie said...

"It hasn't changed in all these thousand years" Just one of many treasures you find studying the Old Testament. One of the most comforting things I learn as a new Christian studying the Old Testament was that God WAS, IS a personal GOD. I did not grow up in the church, but you don't live in America and not at some point know the basic premise of Christianty. For years, even into adulthood, I just thought I was a Christian because I sure wanted to go to heaven and all you had to do was belive, right? But whenever I darkend the doors of some church, I knew deep down, something was missing. It took years of resisting and ignoring God before I hit bottom and had no where to look but up. THE moment I surrendered and admitted to God that I need forgiveness and needed Jesus my life radically changed.

"I found my identity standing alone before GOD and that you don't stand alone before GOD until you've reached rock bottom, until you've heard the howling of the wolves. When I threw myself at Christ feet the picking up was so sweet, I'd go through the despair all over again."
Soren Kiekegaard

I thank God for you and your willingness to share. I thank God for putting the love of His Word in your heart.
Have a great day!
jamie