Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Crown Me Lord, Crown Me!

James 1:12

"Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him."

1 Corinthians 9:25

"And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown."

Revelation 3:11

"Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown."

2 Timothy 4:8

"Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing."

Let me tell you, jewelry is something that I understand. I absolutely love beautiful jewelry. I always notice the jewelry that other women are wearing, and I love to wear it myself. I like the real, expensive kind; and the fun, inexpensive kind. I even have jewelry girlfriends. We always make a point of admiring each other's accessories when we see each other. It is all in good fun, no jealousy of any kind involved.

Less than a year ago, I had my wedding ring reset in a sparkling new setting. When I first picked it up, I was almost ashamed by how extravagant it was. But the jeweler promised me that I would get over that feeling quickly. He was right. I did. Here I am, it has not even been a whole year, and I am already planning ways that I can improve my wedding ring. Yes, the same one that I thought was too much jewelry less than a year ago. Talk about a naturally sinful heart. I don't need a better example than that!

Believe me, I don't consider this something to be proud of. Rather, I am pretty embarrassed to admit it. I do at least realize that no matter how much jewelry I have, it will never be enough to satisfy me, if that is what I am trying to get satisfaction out of.

I figured out a while ago that I was unable to be satisfied by anything but the riches of Christ. God was merciful to me in an odd way. He gave me everything I thought would bring me satisfaction relatively early in my life. And I was still desperately striving for something more. That is, until God decided to get my attention. Now, everything but Christ seems pale and shabby.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I still live in the flesh and am plenty influenced by it. But I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good. And I don't want nothin' else but Him.

Even though my earthly jewels will ultimately fail to satisfy, I look forward to the jewelry I have waiting for me in heaven. The kind that you wear on your head. The crown kind. I want to do whatever is necessary in this life to ensure that I will have crowns aplenty in the next. I am not kidding. The thought of spending eternity admiring the crowns on the saints around me, and not being delighted with my own, is appalling!

I'll pay the price, I'll endure the trial, I'll take the test, Lord. I see how fleeting it all is down here anyway. I want my jewels laid up in heaven. Lots of them. Really. Put me to work!

1 comment:

Matthew Lawrence Woodwork said...

Good. Now I can call the jeweler and tell him to cancel your upgrade for Christmas.