Sunday, October 14, 2007

Light in a Dark Place

Esther 2:7

"Mordecai had a cousin named Hadassah, whom he had brought up because she had neither father nor mother. This girl, who was also known as Esther,"

The name Esther, and Hadassah, are translated as "star." I have always preferred the translation, "Light in a Dark Place."

What a great name meaning! It never occurred to me until very recently that my name, Hadassah, could actually be a literal translation of what God had in store for my life. Now, please don't get me wrong. One thing that is neat about stars is that the sky is full of them. They do not shine into darkness by themselves. And I don't think that God has any intention of making me shine by myself. I have been so encouraged lately to find so many women who share the passion that I have for God.

But I do want to be a light in a dark world. Even in the sky that I am placed in right now, surrounded by other lights, I see an awful lot of darkness. It doesn't take much looking around to see it. Off the top of my head right this instant I can think of women I know who are struggling with homosexuality, adultery, eating disorders, substance abuse, depression, abandonment, anger, jealousy, and divorce. And I'm only thinking of the women in my circle who do not know Christ. The Christians I know are struggling with some pretty scary things themselves.

There is a big difference in the two groups though. One group has real hope and the ability to overcome those struggles. The other, well, I hope that they can get help. But really, unless they let God fill up the voids in their lives that those problems are either a result of or the motivation for, chances are that they will end up replacing one problem with another.

That is why it is so important for us to be light in a dark place. There is darkness all around us. If you can't see darkness around you, I would suggest that you either aren't really looking, or that your world is much too small. Light is useless if it does not shine into the darkness.

Matthew 5:14-16

"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

John 1:4-5

"In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

John 3:19-21

"And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."

John 12:36

"While you have light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light."

Ephesians 5:8-11

"For you were once in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them."


Psalm 119:105

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."


Ever since God began to shine His light into the deepest parts of my heart, I don't think it is even possible for me to hide my light from the world. Part of the reason I have been writing this blog is because if I did not have a chance to get this out there, I would be unbearable to be around. I really don't want to talk about anything else besides God and what He is doing in me and for me.

But I realize that most people do not appreciate having God shoved down their throats. I think it is much wiser to be pleasant to be around, and able to engage people on a variety of subjects. The light of the Lord always shines through in every situation. But it is often not because I am talking about it specifically.

For instance, when I was visiting a large city this summer, my husband and I met up with some of his old friends. They are not Christians. After spending several enjoyable hours together, one of them said to me. "I admire your faith, I can tell that you have something real going on inside of you, I think its really neat." Now, we had not talked about anything even remotely religious. Just chit chat. But the light shone through me. I just can't hide it.

Light in A Dark Place. I want my light to keep growing brighter. There is so much darkness around me that needs the light.

No comments: