Sunday, October 28, 2007

Old Like A Garment

Isaiah 51:6

"Lift up your eyes to the heavens,
And look on the earth beneath.
For the heavens will vanish away like smoke,
The earth will grow old like a garment
And those who dwell in it will die in like manner;
But My salvation will be forever,
And My righteousness will not be abolished."


Psalm 102:25-26

"Of old You laid the foundations of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of you hands.
They will perish, but You will endure;
Yes, they will grow old like a garment;
Like a cloak You will change them,
And they will be changed."

Hebrews 1:1-12 quotes Psalm 102:25-27

2 Peter 3:10

"But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up."

This post is not going to be about the "End Times." There is no doubt that we are currently living in the end times. I can say that with certainty, not because I get carried away with trying to figure out the "signs" and "disasters" that happen. But because we know that Christ was sent to Earth in the "fullness of time." (See Galatians 4:4) Everything after His death IS the end times. But they might go on for another thousand years. I don't think we need to worry about it. That is God's business. What we do need to worry about is living each day we have in this life to the glory of our Father in Heaven. And living it in obedience to His commands.

Rather, this post is intended to counter all of the cultural hysteria we are constantly subjected to on the subject of global warming, from a Christian perspective. Now, I don't really have an opinion about whether global warming is scientific fact, or a big hoax. And if it is occurring, which I am willing to admit that it might be, I don't particularly get passionate about whether it is man made or a naturally occurring cycle of nature. I don't think it matters.

Sure, we should be good stewards of our natural resources. Being wasteful is foolishness. I think all of us should do our part to take care of this planet. But I KNOW that all of our best efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle are going to be pointless in the end. Let me reveal the surprise ending here......(drum roll please)....this earth is going to get old and worn out. And at some point, the time of which only the Father knows, it will be totally destroyed.

I'm sorry if you find that shocking, but it is plain old Biblical truth. Just read those scriptures at the top of the page. The end has been revealed. Earth will grow old like a garment. Picture that old worn out sweatshirt at the back of your closet. The neck is probably stretched out. It might have a few stains, a couple of loose seams. The fabric might be getting a bit thin in places. Then again, considering the affluence that most of us are surrounded by, we might not really have a good idea of what a worn out garment is like.

But God has already told us that our Earth is going to get old and worn out. In Isaiah 34:4 the heavens are described as "being rolled up like a scroll" in the end. We shouldn't be surprised by the deterioration of this planet. But more importantly, we should never live in fear of the future. I think that is what the basis of all this global warming hysteria really is. All of those doomsday predictions are designed to scare us half to death.

There is absolutely no reason that we should let ourselves get carried away by fear over global warming, or any other future disaster for that matter. All of it is completely under God's control. He planned all of it from the very beginning. He is not shocked or dismayed by any of it. All of it is part of His plan, and will ultimately bring about His glory.

How do I know? Because I read the Bible. Take a look at Psalm 46. I am going to quote a few excerpts, but you really should look it up and read the whole Psalm.

Psalm 46: 2-3,7,10

"Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though the mountains shake with its swelling."

"The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge."

"Be still and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"

There you have it. Does the part about the mountains being carried into the midst of the sea sound familiar? Sounds an awful lot like some of those scary global warming predictions to me. I'm not saying that those predictions are going to happen, what I am saying is that even if they do, those of us who have been redeemed and called on by name shouldn't be scared about it.

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel:
Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name;
You are Mine."

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Great post. :) I couldn't help thinking that someone should tell Al Gore. :)